2012.05.26 Yellowstone, Earthquake Lake, Too Much Snow


What a trying day. The tent was covered in six inches of snow this morning when we crawled out. I cannot believe it did not collapse on us in the middle of the night, some of my classmates were not so lucky though. We then spent the morning visiting Huckleberry Ridge, the Lava Creek Tuft, and the Montana Quaternary Faults. When the sun finally peeked out we stopped to check the weather and learn about the destruction at Earthquake Lake in the 1950’s. Then we spend some time at Duck creek collecting sediment samples and talking about the types of rocks.
It may be important to note that the campsite we have been in at Yellowstone DOES NOT HAVE SHOWERS. By the end of the day I’d been four days without taking a shower, as had all of my classmates. Luckily, we were able to find the Lodge, where you could shower for as long as you wanted for less than five bucks. That shower has so far been the highlight of my trip.
Also, due to the terrible weather, we may be changing the trip itinerary. I guess we’ll find out what we’ll be doing tomorrow.  I’m so glad our tent was  still up, so no set up in the dark. Of course, we weren’t able to hit the sleeping bags until late anyway.

By the way, my camera froze to death. There will be limited pictures until I can replace or fix it.

1 comment:

  1. It was the best shower ever. But, I still needed the sun - really, really badly!!

    ReplyDelete